Black and White Study

For my photo to edit I chose the edge of a manhole cover because it allowed for a variation in color and in shadows and it allowed a different look at something that is normal for us to see every day.

 For this first photo I increased the contrast before using the sepia effect. I really enjoy this one because it reminds me of a warmer fall day.
This next photo I used the curves portion under color and I just played around the dragging it different ways before finding something I really enjoyed. I believe this is my best edit because it is soft but gives enough contrast to really see what textures are in the photo itself. I really enjoy the contrast between the bottom right and the implied line going down the middle of the photo from the shadows.
This next photo I went more on the lighter side by incorporating more of my middle grays because I wanted to really see the blue shine through instead of the real dark purple color that comes from the cool tones effect. I did this with adjusting the Brightness-Contrast tool until I found this lighter image that focuses more on the effects of the light.
For this photo I knew I wanted to go very heavy on the contrast to achieve like an almost old horror film feel to it. I used the levels tool in order to incorporate darker shadows and mid-tones and to tone down my highlights while also adjusting the contrast to really push the differences in colors.
For this photo I wanted to do the exact opposite so I used the levels and cranked my range of highlights way up to achieve this almost heavenly feel. In this photo with it being lighter it allows you to see the smaller details in the photo like the lower layers of grass.

 

Comments

  1. This is a really interesting composition. I mentioned that in class. The various textures and the directional lighting lend well to this image being in b&w. You have also done a great job making each image unique from the others. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the subject of the photo is really cool, without being told what the object was I would have been left thinking about it which is a good thing. I really like the shadows of the grass you get on the cover of the manhole cover.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the direction and angle of your shot. Each edit has it's own strengths which makes each one stand out for different elements whether it be the grass casting a dramatic shadow and the grittiness in the concrete.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts